Sunday, March 09, 2008

24" Box Jump PR - I ain't afraid of no box

I've recently been doing box jumps again after shying away from them for close to a year. The 20" box is completely do-able for me as I'd done them since the first year of cf. I broke my teeth in a roughhousing accident...head butt by 6 year old...and I quit jumping out a misplaced fear of hurting my face again. haha.

Anyway, recently Jeff has been encouraging me to start working them back into my workouts by doing box jumps for part of them. The issue is all about confidence and fear. A few weeks ago I did the 50 box jumps in 7 minutes using the 20" box. Then we did a FGB style WO with box jumps and after the first round I did all the jumps on the 20" box. It slows me down because of my pauses at the bottom to psyche myself up.

Yesterday we had 3 rounds of 20" box jumps and I determined to do them with as little pause as pausible between jumps. I did well. It felt good.

Then after class, I looked at the 24" box and asked Essie if she thought I could get to the top of it and she said of course you can! So I took a jump and my right foot landed on the top but the toe of my left foot hit the lip and I stumbled, hitting my left shin on the edge. I rubbed it bit and said...Well, I barely missed. I jus thave to tuck my feet up a tiny bit higher.

I'm not afraid of that box, I said.

So went into a squat, jumped, tucked and LANDED both feet on the top, in a squat position. Knees in my ears practically. Then stood up. I DID IT.

Waited a few then did it one more time.

Done for the day!

24" box jump. By the way...I'm only 60" tall. Next box, 30".

5 comments:

Craig Massey said...

So I need to find a box about your height to stay at the same relative level? :-)

Pass I think.

Really well done Laura. Getting past those fears is a huge part of it.
Very proud of you.

Davie said...

Fantastic Laura!!

Davie said...

and does that mean I need to find a box the same height as metric?

Unknown said...

LOL.

YES to both of you. LOL.


I believe the boys at BX are using two tractor tires. 42" I think.

Craig Massey said...

Can you even see over those tires? ;-)

I figure my kneecaps are toast for not getting a haircut anyway. LOL