Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Why are they yelling at you?

I was on my 80th situp in the middle of angie with the clock running at about 14 minutes.

"What are you on, Laura?" Jeff's voice was not loud, but authoritative as usual.
"81!"
"Hurry up, you need to go faster!"
"Yes, sir!"

From across the room, I heard Dan - Sifu Dan - yelling. "Come on, Laura! Hurry up!"
Then a chorus of voices. Kim, Andrea, and a few I couldn't pinpoint because I started to laugh.

There are about 20 people doing this WOD. But all the trainers know I respond to verbal commands with a Yes sir and by picking up my pace, or by an incredulous look and exasperation, "No, sir, I can't!"

David Shanehan, Sr, also doing sit ups looks at me (he'd already done his push ups and I was saving mine for last. Which is why the trainers wanted me to hurry. I was trying to get the WOD done in under 30.) and shakes his head.

"Wow. They never yell at me like that! What's that all about?"

I was still laughing while I tried to finish my last few situps. "I know. It's hilarious!"

I finished the squats with a few corrections from Jeff and some more encouragement to hurry it up. And when I moved on to push ups it was nearing the 20 minute mark. I did 23 or 25 pushups on the ground before Jeff ordered me to the tire.
"I'd like to see you do three on the tire and 2 on the ground. Then rest. I said REST!" haha.

"Yes, sir."

He had to start a private with another student but he kept tabs on me out of the corner of his eye. When I finished it was 31:23.

"Come on, Laura! Start doing push ups!" With a wicked grin.

"I'm done, sir."

"Oh, well that wasn't enough push ups. Do some more." Then he just outright laughed.
"Good job."

I knew he meant it.

That's why they yell at me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey laurar--since i train at home maybe that's what i should do make a tape of myself shouting "go faster" etc i'm serious! i think its a great idea--hey i turn 60 years old today and did a modified chelsea at 0400 -- i did 12 rounds in 30 mins -- not toooo bad for an old guy (i hope)

Unknown said...

hah! that IS a great idea. I just get more motivation from it. Not mean yelling but decisive yelling.

It must come from my earlier MA training with the boys. LOL.

I think 12 rounds of chelsea is awesome for a first time. What did you sub for pull ups?

Unknown said...

And Happy Birthday!!!!!

Woo hoo! 60. You are just a spring chicken by crossfit standards. ;)

Anonymous said...

good question 2-for-1 chair dips i also learned from men's health underhanded pushups w/ a pair of dbs palms facing out elbows in Killer!! and thank you!!