Friday, October 07, 2005

100 pullups (WOD)

I sent out the WOD to about 5 guys at the office - a few said they would try it.

I told them I expected to take between 30 minutes to an hour. No one was around when I did go to the gym at 3:00pm. I wasn't really planning to go at that time but at the last minutes I figured it was then or never. Painstorm tomorrow, so I probably would not get a chance to do it on the weekend.

Anywhhoooo....I had to do singles because it's a no-kipping bar for me. Grip's too wide. I used a stool to get up to the bar and the hung my weight by bending the knees then did a kind of kip halfway in the pull.

I would say I rested about 10 seconds between pull ups. It seemed to go amazingly fast. At 61 I couldn't believe I was still getting chin over the bar. Any that wer borderline signaled a 20-30 second rest. I broke a sweat but it was way easier in that respect than just doing the 17 kipped ones on miracle day.

At 75 I took a minute break and checked the watch, 12:36.

Cranked em out a few at a time with less than 10 seconds until I was losing ROM. REST. 5 more singles bam bam bam bam bam.

Finished up at 16:58.

All the guys I gave my time to were...surprised.

100?

You did 100. in 20 minutes?

Real ones or cheaters? I explained. Then said, you do 'em exactly the way I did and see how long it takes!

hehe.

I love that look on their faces. Impressed, skeptical, amazed...one guy said, if you do that again I want to see it!

None of them did any pull ups today that I know of.

One guy I have kept up to date on my pull up journey, he is 51 and he can do a set of 50 then he goes to sets of 20's and 30's!!!! He mailed me:

"See, I told you you'd break 20! Good on yer!"

this shows the pull up bar and me doing a pull up about a month ago.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

about the grip

the bar looks like this:

/---o-------o---\

The slanted part is too far apart. the flat part on the sides of the o's is also too wide for me.
The o's are the ends of the brackets that attach the bar to the cable machine.

I have to use a close grip between those struts. No way to really get a kip going for me. So I do close grip, pull straight up, and kip wiht just my legs to get over the bar.

Cheating?

The same way pumping your arms when running is cheating.

Also, I have been telling people I do palms facing away and that I can't do the palms facing toward me. Tried one of those the other day and went right up. Cool. I hadn't tried it in a couple months.

Davie said...

well done on the 100 pull ups

next thing is the 50 pull up birthday present for eugene!!

Unknown said...

I'm all over it Davie.

I would have liked to do the 100 pullups kipping and tested my max, but I figured it would have just ended up being an excuse not to work out...

:)

I was stunned that I could do that many. I expected to have to rest a lot more - I guess I used my abs and lats more than I thought, because My arms are not sore at all!