Friday, June 16, 2006

Confidence

This is so appropriate to my training, although the context was my work habits. I had been "encouraged" to aquire better organizational and time management skills. After about 6 weeks of followup meetings with my managers, one of them asked me how I thought I was doing.

"I really feel good about it. I'm calmer and I don't forget things as often."

"You seem more confident."

Later, I told my friend what he said and my friend misheard me and asked, "Did he say you seemed more competent?"

This made me pause... "hmmm, NO he didn't. Now I don't feel that great about the meeting."

We had a good laugh but that is how I imagine my trainers see me. My form is getting better, my strength and technique must be improvig because I feel more confident.

When my trainers and instructors grin wickedly or nod approvingly at me while I'm killing myself on the floor with whatever physically daunting task is at hand, whether a thruster at a bit above my comfort level or trying hard to ensure my chin goes well over the bar on pullups, touching the floor with my chest before coming up on the push up, or punching drills that used to leave me confused and exhausted, I imaging they are thinking, "She seems more confident."

I just hope I also seem more competent. I certainly FEEL more competent.

No comments: