Monday, February 19, 2007

Pull up nuances - a ramble

The range of my pull up skills has been increasing. In the last month or so I ahve been practicing Ring Pullups - kipping, Flat bar kipping pull ups (thick bar for skill transfer) and kipping on angle bracket (for rep increases), and have had a hard time getting kipped pull ups to work on my home bar.

In the past 2 weeks I have done a bunch of L Pull ups, which I am sure will not win prizes for form, but are bound to get better, forced myself to do flat bar pull ups in a long workout and worked kipping on the thin bar hanging in my hall way. This bar is about 1 inch in diameter and chrome. I use the spongy grips it came with. finally got some multiple UGLY kipped pull ups on it last week and yesterday I did a really ugly dead hang from totally full extension, including letting my shoulders drop into the active positions. This active position seems to help me start the pull up without putting all of the work on my arms/elbows. This morning I did 2 smooth ones and was very happy.

I got the idea from Mark who asked me why I do not activate my shoulders in the hang position. huh. who'd a thinked it?

No comments: